At Central Texas Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Hospital our ophthalmology department understands how important your pets’ vision is and is dedicated to providing advanced care for your pet’s eye illnesses and injuries. A number of diseases or injuries may affect your pet’s eye health, visual status, and ocular comfort, which all contribute to your pet’s overall quality of life. Our board-certified veterinary ophthalmologist partners with your local primary care veterinarian and is trusted in providing custom tailored treatment plans that match each patient’s individual health needs. These plans may include medical or surgical treatment options that help minimize pain and enhance your pet’s vision and quality of life.
We serve pets in Austin and the surrounding cities. Our ophthalmology team uses innovative treatments and technologies to treat your pet’s eyes, including:
Advanced diagnostic techniques, including indirect ophthalmoscopy, slit lamp biomicroscopy, applanation tonometry, and electroretinography as well as CT scanning and ocular ultrasound.
- Cataract surgery (phacoemulsification) with artificial intraocular lens (IOL) implantation
- Eyelid surgery for entropion, ectropion, Macropalpebral Fissure Syndrome (common in pugs, Pekingese, and Shih Tzus), ectopic cilia and distichiasis
- Corneal tissue grafts and transplants, and conjunctival grafts, for severe corneal ulcers and sequestra
- Surgery for glaucoma, intraocular tumors, and intraocular cysts
- Proptosis repair
- Burr corneal debridement and contact lens placement for indolent or non-healing corneal ulcers
- Corneal gluing procedures
- Medical management options for glaucoma and corneal ulcers
Appointments are available Monday thru Thursday between 8:30 AM and 5:00 PM. Drop off appointments are also available as well as emergency appointments.